Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ready for Liftoff...sort of

Boy, I left Swedru today for Accra. I fly out of Accra tomorrow night and, 34 hours later, arrive in Vancouver. Leaving Swedru - my home for the past quarter of a year - was difficult, not physically (the tro tro left surprisingly early), but emotionally. I finished packing this morning then did a last over of the town and clinic. I tried to continue my ritual of reading to Awompa (my 2.75 year old host sister) but I got pretty choked up and could hardly finish the book. When the taxi was pulling away Awo was crying, and maybe so was I. Kojo, my host father, came to the station with me and then he broke down when I got on the tro tro. Just one emotional send off after another.

Yesterday the clinic threw a party for me! They had all the placenta you could eat, it was amazing. Then they presented me with a beautiful Fugu (smock-like frock) made out of kente (at 150 cedis per 6 yards, it's the most expensive material in Ghana) which they assured me, they don't give to all of the volunteers. Suffice to say I was hugely grateful and extremely chuffed.

The clinic has been blast, same ol', same ol', yuh know, babies born, malaria treated, scalps drained of fluid from cracked sinuses, polio kicked out of Ghana. One ailment that I am quite safe from over here is the "mad swine disease" or whatever you have over from Mexico (the first international news I've heard since hearing that Slumdog won the oscar, and that Terminator comes out later in May).

I was kind of hoping to say something infinitely profound here on my last entry. Something that would perfectly encapsulate my experiences here in Ghana, but unfortunately my muse left me two weeks ago. The fountain of inspiration has dried up (must be the heat)! I think, however, that it is quite apropos that Ghana can't be neatly summed up. Ghana is such a wildly diverse country, it would be heinous to try to capture it.

Although elements of leaving are upsetting, I am looking very forward to returning home and seeing my friends and family. Three months is a good amount of time to spend in a developing country. Life here is richer in many ways than our "more privileged" existence, but it is also more challenging. Don't worry, I'm not going to come home hating Western Culture. I have really had my eyes opened on this trip to the fact that places are just different, it's not really a matter of "better" or "worse."

Anyway, thank you all for tuning in to my monthly musings. I'm really looking forward to sharing all the stories and pictures in person with you all in just a few days!!!

Thanks again for all of your support,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment